Vestibular Rehabilitation is a form of therapy designed to help patients with complaints of falls, dizziness, vertigo, sense of imbalance, disequilibrium, motion sensitivity and balance disorders.
Vestibular Rehab Physical Therapists
Patients will be evaluated and treated by physical therapists with advanced training who specialize in neurological, balance and vestibular deficits.
Patients in need of a vestibular evaluation and treatment could present with a variety of symptoms. These symptoms could last seconds, minutes or days, they could be positional, spontaneous, or persistent and they may be induced by head movement. Symptoms may be chronic or acute onset (as early as one to three days) and may include:
- Difficulty in low-light areas
- Difficulty walking over carpet or unleveled surfaces
- Ear fullness
- Ear ringing
- Motion sensitivity
- Oscillopsia (visual blurring)
- Recurrent falls
Patients who suffer from the symptoms listed above can benefit from our highly specialized program to reduce their symptoms and improve their balance. Our expert therapists will communicate with the referring physician to discuss patient follow-up care as needed.
Diagnostic equipment includes state-of-the-art options such as:
- Vestibular and balance dysfunction evaluation and treatment using Smart Balance Master®
- Multitude of balance equipment
- Infrared video goggles for recording of nystagmus and eye movements with testing
- Computerized dynamic visual acuity testing
- Vision therapy using Sanet Vision Integrator (SVI)
- Functional kitchen and bathroom
Expert therapists are adept in identifying the cause of symptoms or balance disorders and are skilled at designing individualized treatment programs to improve balance and reduce fall risks. Within six to eight weeks, a patient with the complaints mentioned above should experience a reduction in symptoms as well as improved sense of balance and improved functional mobility.
Make an Appointment for Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy
Contact us or call 1 (800) 44-REHAB (73422)
Vestibular and balance rehabilitation is offered at the following Houston Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation and TIRR Memorial Hermann locations: