TIRR Memorial Hermann is the rehabilitation partner for the certified stroke care centers throughout Memorial Hermann
The Stroke Rehabilitation Program at TIRR Memorial Hermann is specially designed to maximize a outcome for patients who have suffered a stroke.
Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation: In The News
According to US News and World Report, the American Heart Association has changed its guidelines to recommend inpatient rehabilitation for people who have had a stroke rather than going to a skilled nursing facility or nursing home. There is evidence that patients have better outcomes if transitioned to an inpatient rehabilitation facility because of the team approach and intensive therapy offered around the clock.
Other recommendations include:
- Patients with stroke who have trouble walking should undergo intense mobility-task training to help relearn how to perform daily activities, such as climbing stairs.
- The use of a computer, books, music and virtual reality games could help enhance rehabilitation for stroke patients, making it more engaging and mentally stimulating.
- Patients with stroke who have trouble speaking should undergo speech therapy.
- Patients who have vision problems and have trouble focusing should perform eye exercises.
- Balance training should be offered to stroke survivors at risk for falls.
- Exercise regimens tailored to individual stroke patients can help them continue to improve their fitness level once their rehabilitation is complete.
Dallas, Mary Elizabeth. "New Guidelines Recommend Inpatient Rehab after Stroke." US News and World Report. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 May 2016.
Stroke Therapy in a Hospital Setting
We provide specialized medical management, nursing and therapy services in a hospital setting. Individual therapy, group treatment and community outings address the patient's functional abilities.
Comprehensive interdisciplinary care provides reinforcement of treatment goals throughout the day for patients at all functioning levels. TIRR Memorial Hermann provides support groups, counseling and individualized training to prepare families and caregivers for taking on the additional responsibilities of caring for the patient upon health transition.
Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation
- Patient rooms, nursing care units and gym space specifically designed and equipped to meet the unique needs of a person with stroke.
- Medical management
- Individual therapy sessions
- Group therapy sessions
- Education classes for families and patients
Outpatient Stroke Rehabilitation
Recovery from stroke does not end with a patient's health transition from the inpatient program. Rather, recovery continues long after the return home.
The programs at the Outpatient Medical Clinic and Outpatient Rehabilitation allow patient and family to transition from the hospital setting to home while continuing to receive intense therapy services and medical monitoring. Stroke support groups, counseling, education and individualized training also prepare families and caregivers for the patient's health transition. The Challenge Program provides a comprehensive range of services to help stroke survivors maximize their potential. This outpatient day treatment approach addresses the physical abilities, memory strategies, interpersonal communication and problem solving skills needed for long-term success.
Stroke Patient Stories
McCormick was transported by ambulance to the Memorial Hermann Mischer Neuroscience Institute at the Texas Medical Center, where he spent the next five days. Read the story »
Following acute care for stroke, Houston woman Dorothy benefits from innovative neurorehabilitative technology and integrated care at Mischer Neuroscience Institute and TIRR Memorial Hermann. Read the story »
Read about 66-year-old Roberta's recovery from aneurysm and stroke at TIRR Memorial Hermann's inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs. Read the story »
Read about Barry Oakes' recovery from a massive ischemic stroke at TIRR Memorial Hermann. Read the story »
After suffering a severe bilateral brainstem stroke in 2012, Eileen came to TIRR Memorial Hermann and was walking, driving, practicing law and back to being a single mom within six months Read the story »
TIRR Memorial Hermann is affiliated with experts in brain injury rehabilitation. See our directory of stroke rehabilitation specialists.
Get Started with Stroke Rehabilitation
To learn more about stroke rehab and see how you can participate in the acclaimed Stroke Program at TIRR Memorial Hermann, call (713) 797-5942 or contact us online.
Download the full Stroke Fact Sheet & Clinical Outcomes: