TIRR Memorial Hermann and the Memorial Hermann Rehabilitation Network offer comprehensive rehabilitation for those affected by cancer in the inpatient, outpatient rehabilitation and outpatient medical clinic settings.
We create individualized treatment programs that optimize a patient’s journey to success in achieving personal goals, whether they are newly diagnosed, undergoing cancer treatments or following treatments. We provide an environment that gives patients, their families and caregivers the opportunity to participate in important life roles and enhance their quality of life.
Our Cancer rehabilitatiom program meets the challenges many cancer survivors face, such as:
- Cancer-related fatigue
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Decreased walking ability
- Swallowing difficulties
- Decreased strength, balance and/or coordination
- Peripheral neuropathy/plexopathy
- Diminished oral motor skills
- Anxiety or depression
- Community reintegration
Our program is one of only a few in the country to work with patients before (Prehabilitation), during and after cancer treatments, coordinating rehabilitation with the patients and their medical team.
Cancer prehabilitation as a precursor to rehabilitation and includes physical therapy, occupational therapy and/or speech language pathology services for individuals who are newly diagnosed with cancer but before they start their cancer treatments. The goal of cancer prehabilitation is to prevent or lessen the severity of anticipated treatment-related problems that could lead to later disability.
Cancer prehabilitation has many potential benefits which may include:
- Improvement of physical and psychological health outcomes
- Improvement of functional abilities
- Reduction of pain
- Lessening of emotional stress
- Prevention of hospital readmissions
- Improved quality of life
During the prehabilitation assessment, the therapist will determine a patient’s baseline status and design interventions that improve functional limitations before cancer treatment begins. In general, prehabilitation services should not delay the start of cancer treatments. A prescription from a doctor is needed for all prehabilitation services.
Learn More About Cancer Prehabilitation »
Cancer Rehabilitation Therapies
TIRR Memorial Hermann’s Cancer Rehabilitation Program maximizes patient outcomes by providing:
- An integrated, collaborative approach by our interdisciplinary team
- Evidence-based interventions through individual and group therapy sessions
- Prehabilitation to improve the patient’s physical and emotional health in preparation for the challenges ahead such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and immunotherapy
- Cognitive rehabilitation to address changes such as “chemo brain” or “brain fog”
- Community reintegration (return to work and independence)
- Support groups, counseling, education classes and individualized training for patients, families and caregivers
- Facilities and equipment tailored to meet the needs of individuals with cancer
- Discharge planning, which can consist of outpatient rehabilitation, outpatient community wellness programs or support care
Cancer Rehabilitation Team
We have a knowledgeable outpatient oncology-dedicated interdisciplinary team that may include:
Additional team members of an inpatient stay may include:
- Affiliated rehabilitation physician
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Therapeutic recreation therapist
- Music therapist
- Clinical pharmacist
- Case Manager
We also offer consultation with a cancer rehabilitation physician at the Outpatient Medical Clinic who can assist cancer survivors with the following:
- Development and coordination of an interdisciplinary plan of care to meet your unique needs
- Preservation and restoration of function
- Management of cancer or cancer treatment-related impairments
- Health promotion (physical activity and nutrition
Lymphedema is a chronic and progressive condition characterized by swelling of the extremities or the head and neck region. Certified lymphedema specialists at TIRR Memorial Hermann and the Memorial Hermann Rehabilitation Network offer comprehensive treatment for lymphedema to reduce swelling, improve comfort, increase overall mobility and prevent further complications.
Pre-surgical Lymphedema Evaluation
We offer pre-surgical evaluations for baseline extremity measurements, skin assessment, therapeutic exercises and lymphedema education.
Complete Decongestive Therapy
We use Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) to treat patients with lymphedema. This effective comprehensive approach incorporates:
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Skin care
- Compression bandaging
- Therapeutic exercises
- Self-care training
- Patient and family education
Once maximum volume reduction is achieved, the patient will be fitted for a compression garment and instructed to continue with exercises, skin care and self-manual lymphatic drainage. Follow up visits will be scheduled as needed.
- A prescription from a doctor is needed for lymphedema management
To make a referral or to schedule an appointment, please call 1 (800) 44-REHAB (73422), (713) 797-5942, fax (713) 797-5988, or fill out our online forms by clicking the buttons below.
Become a PatientRefer a Patient
Download the Fact Sheet
Download the TIRR Memorial Hermann Rehab Specialty fact sheet for more information about the program and patient outcomes.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation
A physician's order for Cancer Rehabilitation is required. Indicate cancer rehabilitation on the orders for Outpatient Therapy Services script.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation at the Kirby Glen Center
2455 S. Braeswood
Houston, TX 77030
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation at Memorial City
929B Gessner, Suite 108
Houston, TX 77024
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation - Greater Heights
1635 North Loop West
Houston, TX 77008
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation Sugar Land
1111 Highway 6 Suite 195
Sugar Land, TX 77478
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation The Woodlands Medical Center
920 Medical Plaza Dr. #270
The Woodlands, TX 77380
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation - West University
2909 West Holcombe Blvd
Houston, TX 77025