TIRR Memorial Hermann offers comprehensive cancer rehabilitation in the inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation settings for all cancer survivors. We create individualized treatment programs that optimize a patient's journey to success in achieving personal goals, whether they are newly diagnosed or long finished with treatments. We provide an environment that gives the patients, their families and caregivers the opportunities to participate in important life roles and enhance their quality of life.
Cancer survivors may face the challenge of any of the following:
- Deconditioning (impaired mobility)
- Functional activity limitations such as decreased walking ability
- Physical impairments/neurological deficits , including decreased strength, balance and/or coordination
- Cancer-related fatigue
- Peripheral neuropathy/plexopathy (changes in sensation)
- Cognitive involvement
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Diminished oral motor skills
- Safety concerns
- Support needed for reintegration into family, community and daily life
Cancer Rehabilitation Team
We have a knowledgeable outpatient oncology-dedicated interdisciplinary team that includes:
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Speech language pathologist
- Case manager
Additional benefits of an inpatient stay include:
Cancer Rehabilitation Therapies
The Cancer Rehabilitation Program at TIRR Memorial Hermann maximizes patient outcomes by providing:
- An integrated, collaborative approach by our interdisciplinary team that addresses the medical, physical, functional, social and emotional needs of the patient for optimal independence.
- A comprehensive evaluation of the patient's rehabilitation potential and customized, individualized programs to address a wide range of symptoms and diagnoses.
- Evidence-based interventions through effective and innovative individual and group therapy sessions to achieve the highest possible functional level.
- Community outings to address the patient's functional abilities with the goal of community reintegration.
- Individualized and multidimensional cognitive rehabilitation interventions to address cognitive changes associated with cancer, also known as "Brain Fog" or "Chemo Brain"
- Support groups, counseling, education classes and individualized training to prepare patients, families and caregivers for a safe discharge to home and the community.
- Facilities and various types of equipment that are designed and tailored to meet the needs of individuals with cancer.
- Discharge planning which can consist of outpatient rehabilitation, home therapy services, outpatient community-based health promotion programs, or support care.
After diagnosis and treatment for a brain tumor, Scottie received pediatric rehabilitation at TIRR Memorial Hermann to improve his ability to move, stand and walk. Read the story »
To learn more about the Cancer Rehabilitation Program at TIRR Memorial Hermann, please call us.
Make a Referral
TIRR Memorial Hermann Inpatient Rehabilitation
For inpatient referrals to TIRR Memorial Hermann, call the Admissions department at (713) 797-5942 or toll free at 1 (800) 44-REHAB (73422). Referrals may be made by patients, family members, physicians, social workers, case managers or discharge planners.
Our admissions team works closely with referring hospitals during the initial stages of illness to ensure a timely admission. Nurse liaisons, admissions nurses and admissions coordinators assist in the referral and admission process. Faxed referrals are also accepted at (713) 797-5988 or (713) 797-7486.
TIRR Memorial Hermann (Main Campus)
Houston, TX 77030
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation
A physician's order for Cancer Rehabilitation is required. Indicate cancer rehab on the orders for Outpatient Therapy Services script.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation at the Kirby Glen Center
2455 S. Braeswood
Houston, TX 77030
Fax: (713) 383-5713
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation at Memorial City
929B Gessner, Suite 108
Houston, TX 77024
Fax: (713) 242-2293
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation at Northwest
1635 North Loop West
Houston, TX 77008
Fax: (713) 867-4630
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.