TIRR Memorial Hermann Adapted Sports and Recreation program’s core value is to support independence and inclusion.
Our mission is to be a leader in providing and supporting meaningful opportunities for people living with physical disabilities and chronic health conditions to participate fully in their community in accessible sports, recreation, fitness and wellness activities.
The program goals include:
- To reduce the risk of readmission to a medical or healthcare facility due to lack of knowledge or access to accessible physical activity resulting in unhealthy lifestyle.
- To aggressively and purposefully seek to bridge the gap, reducing time between being a patient of TIRR Memorial Hermann or other rehabilitation facility and re-entering community physical activity.
- To promote and provide organized and accessible sports, recreation, fitness and wellness opportunities for youth and adults with physical disability.
- To partner, collaborate and or foster relationships with service providers, individuals, organizations and other accessible adapted sports, recreation and fitness providers, to ensure people with disability have the opportunity to be fully included in community sports recreation and wellness activities.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Adapted Sports and Recreation offers both youth and adults with physical disabilities an outlet to continue playing sports both competitively and recreationally through programs including: wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, handcycling, wheelchair softball, wheelchair racing, seated throw/field events, powerlifting, fitness programs, tennis and more.
For more information or to participate, please contact email@example.com or call (832) 567-4832.
Make a Donation to TIRR Memorial Hermann
TIRR Memorial Hermann Junior Hotwheels Basketball
TIRR Memorial Hermann Junior Hotwheels Wheelchair Basketball team was founded in 1997, first competing in the 1997-98 basketball season with only five players. As the seasons have continued we have had over 75 wheelchair athletes participate on the Hotwheels basketball team.
The Junior Hotwheels accept any school-aged players with physical disabilities that are interested in wheelchair basketball, either competitively or recreationally.
The Hotwheels are proud of the college success that many of our players have achieved over the years. Multiple past Hotwheels players have received full athletic scholarships to universities that have collegiate wheelchair basketball programs. In fact, a member of the 2014-2015 Junior Hotwheels team accepted a full athletic scholarship to the University of Texas in Arlington.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Adult Hotwheels Basketball
TIRR Memorial Hermann also sponsors two TIRR Memorial Hermann Adult Hotwheels teams. We have an NWBA Division 1 team, as well as an NWBA Division 3 team. Both are for adults with physical disabilities ages 18 and up.
Find out more about the National Wheelchair Basketball Association.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Sports is proud to sponsor Houston’s only Quad Rugby team for the past six years. The TIRR Texans team consists of 12 athletes ranging from 19 - 45 years of age.
Quad rugby is a full contact wheelchair sport that is a mix of football and soccer. The game is played on a basketball court with four players from each team on the court at one time. For more information on the game and how it is played please visit the quad rugby website at www.usqra.org.
Wheelchair Ultimate Frisbee
In collaboration with the Houston Ultimate Community, TIRR Memorial Hermann sponsors a wheelchair ultimate Frisbee league in the Houston area. Anyone is welcome to join our league and participate in this growing new sport!
TIRR Memorial Hermann owns various handcycles that can be loaned out by community members for trial. If you are interested in borrowing a handcycle, please contact TIRR TR at TIRRTR@memorialhermann.org or call (713)797-5928.
Paralympic Sport - TIRR Memorial Hermann
U.S. Paralympics, a division of the U.S. Olympic Committee and TIRR Memorial Hermann have partnered to create Paralympic Sport – Houston/ TIRR Memorial Hermann.
Paralympic Sport – Houston/ TIRR Memorial Hermann is a community-based sports club developed to involve youth and adults with physical and visual disabilities in ongoing sports and physical activity, regardless of skill level. All programs and activities will be based in Houston and run by TIRR Memorial Hermann.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Sports emphasizes community awareness and participation. We have had the opportunity to collaborate with the following organizations:
- U.S. Paralympics
- City of Houston Metropolitan Multi-Service Center
- City of Pasadena Verne Cox Center
- City of Pearland Adaptive Sports Program
- Houston Ultimate Community (HUC)