Inpatient and Outpatient Rehabilitation
TIRR Memorial Hermann is a nationally recognized rehabilitation hospital currently ranked No.2 in the nation, by U.S. News and World Report. For patients affected by neurological illness, trauma or other debilitating conditions, our main goal is to get them back to an independent lifestyle. Some of the world’s leading physicians in rehabilitation medicine provide care at TIRR Memorial Hermann. From our inpatient facilities to our outpatient rehabilitation services and community wellness programs, our patient care environments blend passionate people, exemplary care and a commitment to each patient’s overall quality of life.
Collaborative, Integrated Care
An interdisciplinary team of experts will be working closely with the patients and their families and caregivers to foster improved quality of life and maximize positive patient outcomes. Our program promotes close collaboration with all members of the team along with physicians to ensure patients receive the best management of their illness. Our inpatient and outpatient programs focus on maximizing the patient’s functional abilities by providing specialized medical management, nursing and therapy services in individual, group and community settings.
Inpatient therapy is often overlooked for persons with complex or chronic conditions like Parkinson’s disease because of the nature of these conditions. However, these services have proven to be invaluable for many patients, providing them with improved function, mobility, strength and the confidence to tackle the challenges of everyday life.
At TIRR Memorial Hermann, we recognize that Parkinson’s disease can be an overwhelming diagnosis both for the individual patient and their families. Our innovative outpatient program focuses on providing patients the opportunity to maintain their normal activities at home, work, volunteer or community environments, along with critical support for family and caregivers.
Studies have found that patients who receive expert care, similar to that provided by TIRR Memorial Hermann, typically experience better outcomes, have lower risks of complications, and tend to live longer with a better quality of life.
Parkinson's Disease Treatments
Living with Parkinson’s disease impacts every aspect of a patient’s life, creating challenges as new symptoms emerge. As a neurodegenerative disease, patients with Parkinson’s disease may experience the following symptoms:
- Walking difficulties
- Decreased balance and coordination
- Postural problems
- Involuntary movements
- Difficulty with handwriting
- Diminished oral and motor skills
- Decreased speech intelligibility and volume
- Swallowing difficulties
- Cognitive impairments
We offer the following innovative treatments for patients with Parkinson’s disease:
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT)-LOUD, a standardized treatment protocol for voice volume, speech intelligibility and facial expression
- LSVT-BI G, an intensive whole body amplitude-based training protocol for faster walking with bigger steps, enhanced amplitude of movements during functional activities, improved balance and increased strength
- Individualized therapeutic exercise and functional activity programs that can help with daily activities such as walking, self-care, work and leisure; fall prevention; and overall strength, flexibility and endurance training
- A continuum of care including: inpatient rehabilitation, outpatient rehabilitation, a community integration program, a community wellness program along with support groups, counseling and education
If you would like to schedule an appointment or need more information please contact us at: 1 (800) 44-REHAB (73422) , (713) 797-5942 or fax 713.797.5988
Specialists at Rehabilitation
Clinicians at TIRR Memorial Hermann are specially trained to address all issues associated with Parkinson’s disease.
We provide a comprehensive evaluation of the patient’s rehabilitation potential along with customized, individualized programs to address a wide range of symptoms and diagnoses. Our team of specialized clinicians provide education, support, empowerment, and, most importantly, assist patients with functioning as independently as possible.
Each patient’s dedicated interdisciplinary team may include the following specialists:
- Affiliated physician
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology
- Social work
To learn more about TIRR Memorial Hermann, please visit our Video Library.
To learn more about Parkinson’s disease, please visit www.parkinson.org.
TIRR Memorial Hermann Inpatient
TIRR Memorial Hermann Outpatient Rehabilitation
Memorial Hermann Rehabilitation Network