Neurobehavioral Changes After Acquired Brain Injury:
A Team Approach to Understanding Diagnosis and Interventions
This course is designed for health professionals working with the brain injury population. Through lecture and discussion, participants will learn to describe common behaviors in the brain injury population, learn to use various outcomes measures, and be able to implement behavior management strategies. The focus of this course is to improve the consistency of communication among health professionals with clearly defined terms of behaviors, and to improve the therapeutic approach to patients with behavioral deficits by providing participants with evidenced-based interventions for this population.
This program is targeted toward Nursing staff, PT, OT, SLP, Neuropsychology, CM, SW interested in the neurobehavioral program.
By the end of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify and accurately define behavior issues common to the ABI population.
- Assess behaviors in the BI population using three different outcome measures.
- Understand the ABC model and schedules of reinforcement.
- Know four practical ways to intervene during escalation phase and crisis phase of the aggression cycle in order to better manage behaviors.
- Understand pharmacological interventions and how they can affect patient behaviors.
- Document for consistency in order to improve communication across the team.
Course MaterialsCourse Program & Information
Cost / Registration:
FREE to TIRR Memorial Hermann Rehab Service Line employees only. INTERNAL ONLY.
Any questions, please contact: ContinuingEducationRegistration@memorialhermann.org.
You are expected to attend the course you register for. If you are not able to attend, please notify your Management Team immediately. All cancellations must be in writing 14 calendar days prior to the course start date to ContinuingEducationRegistration@memorialhermann.org. TIRR Memorial Hermann reserves the right to cancel or change any programs for due cause.
Please refer to http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/ for information on parking. The closest parking is available in Garage 6 and is next to TIRR Memorial Hermann Hospital. Any parking reimbursement will be through your normal departmental approval process.