Volunteer at TIRR Memorial Hermann
A specialty hospital needs special volunteers. No other hospital is quite like TIRR Memorial Hermann. We specialize in rehabilitation of individuals who have experienced catastrophic illness or injury.
Ours is a world of small victories and great triumphs, both for ourselves and for our patients. Here you see patients – once thought to be permanently bedridden – now moving about the corridors in motorized wheelchairs. Here you see patients overcoming severe handicaps as they learn to drive a car again, to shave or to put on makeup, or preparing themselves for productive employment and school.
Click here to sign up to be a volunteer at TIRR Memorial Hermann.
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older.
- All volunteers must complete an application and pass a criminal background check.
- Volunteers are required to have a TB screening test, provided free of charge on site or at other Memorial Hermann facilities, before they can begin their work.
- We ask that a volunteer commit to working one to two days a week, three hours each day for a minimum of three months.
Benefits of Volunteering at TIRR Memorial Hermann
- Free Texas Medical Center parking when volunteering at TIRR Memorial Hermann
- A discount in the hospital cafeteria
- A 10 percent discount on gift items in the Korner Store gift shop
Volunteer Activities at TIRR Memorial Hermann
Volunteer positions are designed to utilize talents and interests to enhance the lives of our patients and the environment in which we care for them. The numerous ways in which you can contribute your time provide truly rewarding experiences.
The following activities will enable you to connect with others through service:
- Assist patients unable to feed themselves
- Help with Animal Assisted Therapy, through “Caring Critters”
- Assist with the Challenge Program for brain injury at the Kirby Glen location
- Provide clerical support
- Run errands in the hospital for patients and staff
- Help staff as a patient floor assistant
- Assist with the TIRR Memorial Hermann Greenhouse
- Work in the Korner Store gift shop
- Assist with letter writing
- Assist in therapy areas
- Greet visitors, provide information and directions at the information desk
- Assist with the Strength Unlimited program
- Help with the inpatient Sunday church services
- Assist staff in the Outpatient Clinic
- Assist with various needs in the Volunteer Office
Want to volunteer at TIRR Memorial Hermann?
To become a volunteer, click here to sign up, fill out our volunteer form with any questions, or call our Volunteer Office at (713) 797-5225. We are located at 1333 Moursund, in the Texas Medical Center, Room H-105. We look forward to meeting you.
The Auxiliary to TIRR Memorial Hermann
The purpose of the Auxiliary to TIRR Memorial Hermannis to provide direct service to patients, staff and the hospital in a manner deemed appropriate by the administration; to engage in fundraising to support the needs of the hospital and patients; and to foster community awareness to create a wider base of support for TIRR Memorial Hermann’s restorative care programs. Through notices, memoranda, meetings and special events, the Auxiliary keeps volunteers, staff and the public aware of new plans and changes in the organization. Recognition of service, contribution and tenure are paramount values that are deeply rooted in the Auxiliary.
Providing needed funds to augment programs at TIRR Memorial Hermann is a tradition with the Auxiliary. Through our fundraising efforts and the Korner Store gift shop, we have contributed well over $2 million during the past four decades to support the growth of TIRR Memorial Hermann. Our donations have assisted in the construction of the six-story patient tower, renovations to the Outpatient Rehabilitation facility and the purchase of computers for clinical and non-clinical areas.
All of the funds raised by the Korner Store go to benefit patients at TIRR Memorial Hermann. Outreach to the community is a natural result of the development of volunteer resources. The Auxiliary’s continual efforts help to educate the community about the purpose and philosophy of TIRR Memorial Hermann and the Volunteer program, and to stimulate ongoing interest and involvement in the Auxiliary’s mission.
History of the Auxiliary to TIRR Memorial Hermann
The Auxiliary has a long history and tradition of supporting the needs of patients and their families. Officially established in March 1965 and led by Nita Weil, the Auxiliary to TIRR Memorial Hermann began as a service-based group of volunteers assisting patients and staff throughout the hospital. In 1968, Nita was named Director of Volunteers. In 1984, having expanded its role of supporting patients, families and the hospital, the Auxiliary was incorporated as a Texas not-for-profit corporation and was granted status as a 501(c)(3) organization. Since that time, the Auxiliary has grown substantially and continues to make significant contributions to TIRR Memorial Hermann.